Sunday, June 17, 2007

Rewhew

Dead Poet's Society



Slow, but simple and nice, Robin Williams carries this movie entirely on his shoulders and does a fantastic job!, what were Yash Raj films thinking when they made the indian version, with SRK, Ash and load of other crap...wouldnt know.


Crow Road



Iain Banks has written better, I personally would consider 'Inversions' and 'The Wasp Factory', to be better books, But 'Crow Road' is apparently the book people swear by. (Maybe because it has a limited 'acceptable' quantity of macabre and black humour compared to the afore mentioned books)
I believe the term for this style of a book is, bildungsroman
Mind you, this is well written, in that, Banks does a good job of smoothly moving between time lines, first and second person narration etc. However, that is the only positive I can think of,otherwise I found it to be trite, meaningless and predictable ( I was always under the impression that Banks was good because of his unpredictability)

siiigh, back to Colin Dexter and Neil Gaiman then, at least they haven't disappointed me (...yet)

No comments: