Friday, November 11, 2011

In flight entertainment.

I've found an excuse for my lack of posting on my blog in recent times. Its the new blogger interface, all white and clean, or so they think. Thoughts don't flow in such spaces. So I've changed back to the old interface and lo behold I am furiously hacking away at the latest post. This one.

My previous post on Brasil has been criticized (and rightly so) and I am being prompted to write a better one about Brasil. But maybe some other time. This one is about movies that I got to watch on the flight to and fro from Brasil.

It was a 15 hour single haul flight from Dubai to São Paulo(and back), which meant good opportunity to watch some of the movies that the Emirates entertainment system(I.C.E) had to offer. Here are a few:

Hanna

Ok. So I am not a fan of Kill Bill. I think its pretty lame, with the exceptions of a few scenes. So when I watched Hanna, I was taken aback by its awesomeness. Here was a movie that Kill Bill should have been but wasn't.
Hanna a young girl, is trained by her dad(Eric Bana), to be a killer. It's her only chance to survive her nemesis - Cate Blanchett.
Why Hanna and her dad are being hunted down is part of the story and I shall not give it away. Just rest assured that the action sequences are awesome. The sound track is brilliant and this is a MUST WATCH.

The Guard
I watched this one for one reason only. Brendan Gleeson. Gleeson has never disappointed and my reasoning turned out to be perfectly logical.
This is one good movie. Directed by Jonathan McDonagh (brother of Martin McDonagh of 'In Bruges' fame), this movie has Gleeson playing the title role, that of a cop. A middle aged, slightly corrupt and seemingly lonely cop.
This dark comedy, follows a tip-off to the police department about a drug heist about to happen in their sleepy Irish village.
The dialogues, the direction and the soundtrack are all top-notch. Please watch this!

Sucker Punch
Sucker punch is Zack Snyder meets Charlies Angels meets Pan's labyrinth. I was very sceptical about this movie, until I watched it. It follows 4 girls trying to escape out of a mental asylum(or is it a whore house?). There is a decentish script and some suspense with the twist in the end, but I won't give it away. The soundtrack, oh the soundtrack is just mind-blowing. The girls are pretty too, but they are very soon overshadowed by the soundtrack. Very watchable.


The Trotsky
Canadian movie about a young guy who thinks he is the reincarnation of Leon Trotsky and that his life must follow the same suit. Hilarity ensues. A good watchable movie.

There are loads of other movies that I did manage to watch, but am not bothered to write much about:
Cypher: Action/Thriller. Average
The Fountain: Fantasy/Drama. Bad
The Dilemma: Confused Genre. Bad
Fast Five: Action. Bad
Midnight in Paris: Comedy/Fantasy. Very Very Good.
Kill the Irishman: Action/Biopic. Very Good.
Last Night: Romance. Alright.
Submarine: Romance/Coming of Age. Average.
Ironclad: Action. Average

No comments: