Sunday, May 13, 2012

Movies that I recommend...

The stupid white background on the blog, just made me averse to posting or blogging. Now I have gone back to a colour that suits me better. Hopefully this will lead to more posts

Okay, I've watched loads of movies since the last time and I am not in the zone to write about them all. But here are some(in no particular order) that you must try and watch - 

Drive

Ryan Gosling plays a getaway driver for hire. He will drive you away from the scene of the crime for a fee. 
His character is socially inept and given to long brooding silences. The movie does not pick pace until he falls for his neighbour (who is married with a kid and a husband in jail).
When the movie does pick up pace, its still slowish :)
The action becomes very violent in the second half and the very interesting soundtrack almost contradicts what you see on screen. The soundtrack is super-awesome and the fight scenes reminded me of Mel Gibson's "Payback". The direction is brilliant,
Its a movie that you will either like or hate. But its one that you must watch.

Avengers

Enough has been written about this. It starts all slow and talkative but once Bruce Banner turns into the Hulk we have a good movie on our hands.
Yes, Tony Stark again gets all the witty one-liners, but its the Hulk who gets the best cheers. 
Captain America and Hawkeye are mostly, also-rans but the Black Widow gets some decent screen time.
And there's Robin! No not the Batman one, the 'How I met your mother' one :D
The good: The Hulk and Tony Stark.
The bad: What? all these super heroes assemble for a sissy villain like Loki? Doesn't seem right. Now Red Skull would have definitely made a more menacing villain. That's the next of the series I suppose.

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

The real reason I watched this movie was for 'Benedict Cumberbatch'. Who? you ask.

Well, Cumberbatch plays Sherlock Holmes in the super impressive series "Sherlock". I was so impressed that I looked if I had any movie in my collection that had him in it. 'Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy' met the requirements.
Gary Oldman plays 'George Smiley' a popular le carré character.
A mission goes bad and the presence of a mole in the British intelligence is evident. Smiley's handed the job to ferret out the mole.
I loved this movie.

The girl with the dragon tattoo

Watched the English version. It's really good. Rooney Maara is fantastic!  Haven't read the books yet, but I have the next book in the series on my bedside.
I also plan to watch the Swedish version's of the films since something tells me they will be great.
Must watch this one.

4 comments:

Ramya said...

Drive drove me mad. Maybe it's not my kind of film, or maybe I just didn't get it, but I was really fed up with the film and couldn't wait for it to get over!

I really enjoyed Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. It's a very atmospheric film, and I love that its all thought, little action. That's my kind of a thriller.

I saw the Swedish version of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and really liked it. It's very grey and gloomy - and I think that's appropriate given how the book reads too. I plan to eventually watch the English version too, but I read somewhere that its a lot more mainstream, with Craig being playing the role of rescuing hero, and if thats the case, I'd think the movie is going against the very essence of the books. Speaking of which, you have to read the series. They're awesome!

Also, a recommendation: Watch 'A Separation'. Such a lovely, lovely, lovely movie.

Apoorv Gawde said...

Okay 'A separation'goes on my list :)

You've aptly described Tinker Tailor...It is indeed atmospheric :) As for Drive, the more I talk to people the more it seems like a guy movie.

Most of the guys I've asked have liked it the girls (including Amu) have hated it. So its one of those things I suppose :)

MR7 said...

Yeah Avengers n Benedict Cumberbatch! How good is Tinker Tailor SS as a movie though?

Apoorv Gawde said...

Oh yes! Its Lovely :D