Wednesday, August 03, 2011

What I've been reading...

Well, settling into a new apartment means living for a few days without some companions such as internet and the television. I write this blog with some borrowed wi-fi from a neighbour. The connection is not generally good from our room, but standing near the kitchen window allows some browsing. Today, however, the wi-fi network seems to be working from the room and hence the post.
Anyway, the lack of internet has allowed me to catch up on some reading. I used to be a voracious reader back in school and college, running at the rate of sometimes a book a day during vacations.

I still remember being re-introduced to Wodehouse in college and reading the books all over again. Picking up a book in the morning and getting done by evening, when the fragrance of incense used to fill up the house. I still associate that particular fragrance with the World of Wodehouse. Have no clue what the brand of incense stick was and the day I find it, will be a happy one.

So I've been reading. I left a Kingsley Amis book halfway, to pick up a collection of short stories, edited by Neil Gaiman and Al Sarrantonio, its imaginatively named "Stories". Decentish collection of stories and I got through that one quite quickly.
Followed it up with 'Demon Lover' by Lawrence Sanders, I was piqued by the name and thought it was good to catch-up on some sleazy reading, turned out that the story is a drama about a Hollywood movie studio and its supervisor (the protagonist), set in 1927, right at the cusp of sound being introduced in movies. Not a bad read though.
I just finshed a very interesting book called 'Don't ask any old bloke for directions' by P.G. Tenzing. This one's about an IAS officer, leaving his job and heading out on a road trip alone, around India. Its an easy read and not too heavy. The chap writes about people he met on the trip and his experience in general. Highly recommended.

During all of this, I started off on 'Bone' a brilliant graphic novel series by Jeff Smith. Please please read this one.

Now I have a choice of reading, ' The Banker' by Dick Francis (who writes thrillers set in the world of horse racing) or 'An April Shroud' by Reginald Hill (whose police detective duo of 'Dalziel and Pascoe' come second only to inspector Morse) or 'Whit' by Iain Banks.

I think I am going to go with continuing to read the currently ignored Kingsley Amis' 'You can't do both'.

No comments: