Monday, October 24, 2005

“Brando, The King and I and The Catcher in the Rye”

Yeah, I read “The Catcher in the Rye”, I must say I liked it. At some parts, it had me laughing uncontrollably, it was good to read a book that genuinely makes one laugh, (unlike the crappy stuff that “Douglas Adams” writes), anyway, Salinger’s style of writing reminds me so much of Joseph Heller’s masterpiece “Catch-22”. Both these guys were one hit wonders. I mean, writing a book like “The Catcher in the Rye” or “Catch-22” is like digging a hole for yourself, people will begin to expect a lot from you and obviously you fail to deliver.

Other similarities are, both the titles have the word “Catch” in them; the leading characters Yossarian and Holden Caulfield are rebels, who contradict themselves a lot.

Anyone who has read both the books care to point out any more similarities??

2 comments:

CodeMangler said...

I'm plannin to read both of em after I finish 2 pending books.. 'll be back here to argue ater I finish em..
for now, I dont think douglas adams qualifies as a crappy writer [n definitely not anythin worser than that ;) ], tho I havent read any of his works..

Apoorv Gawde said...

Well, I have read Douglas Adams and the book I read, was crappy.
give me a point of view after you read his work.