Tuesday, June 27, 2006

The dreaming spires of Oxford

This post is a result of a friend coming over to my desk and threatening me with dire consequences if I missed mentioning Oxford in my Blog, :P So here it is.
Oxford almost did not happen, we had been to Cambridge....and colleagues told us "If you have seen Cambridge then Oxford will fade away in comparison..", however an intense desire to cycle through the countryside complelled us to go to Oxford. (why Oxford??...well, Why not?).

After a week of rain, it was a glorious day and once we had the cycles...it was heaven ! Cycling by the 'Thames', just following the river upstream and then downstream, taking diversions into the countryside and then back into town....to look at the "Dreaming Spires", Oxford indeed is the most beautiful thing I have seen in England. Everything else, every other city/Town I had been to faded away in comparison to this beautiful university town.

My motivation to go to Oxford was for more literary reasons....Colin Dexter 'Inspector Morse' (one of my favorite fictional characters) solves crimes in and around Oxford!, Two of my all time favorite books 'Alice in Wonderland' and 'Through the looking glass' were written in Oxford. I was most happy that the visit happened :)

Whatever said and done, I think "Small Faces" say it best in their song "Itchycoo Park"

Over bridge of sighs
To rest my eyes in shades of green
Under dreamin' spires
To Itchycoo Park, that's where I've been

What did you do there?
I got high
What did you feel there?
Well I cried
But why the tears there?
I'll tell you why
It's all too beautiful
It's all too beautiful
It's all too beautiful

Oxford

Oxford

Oxford

Oxford

Oxford

Oxford

Oxford


Oxford

Oxford

4 comments:

Seemantini said...

One word- BEAUTIFUL!

must've been a soothing experience cyclin' thru.

yellow field pic is my pick- give me the country side- anytime, anywhere.

Neha said...

beatiful pics...as already told ya...
and where are the cambridge pics???

Apoorv Gawde said...

Simi ~ the yellow fields looked like out of DDLJ. hehe lovely they are

Neha ~ thanx :) The Cambridge pics are here http://apoorvgawde.blogspot.com/2006/05/
cambridge.html#comments

Enigma said...

good snaps .