Monday, December 18, 2006

Hooters!!

I looked out of the kitchen window on Friday, and lo behold there sat my favorite bird around 10 feet away. An Owl !!

I looked out of the bedroom window on Saturday and there it was again, just 4-5 feet away. Looking like it was at peace with itself after a night long hunting session. It sat there oblivious to the bunch of admiring onlookers (that included Mom, Dad and I).

Falls?

The crows came cawing with all their might; it obliged them with a casual glance, not moving once.

A couple of squirrels came, feinting as if they were going to attack it, it sat there immovable, as if saying “I do not attend every argument I am invited to”.

The most amazing thing about this owl was that it showed absolutely no sign of fear.

I tried singing to it (Yes I did, I sing to anyone who is willing to listen), talking to it, even tried to mimic birds and rodents (or so I would like to believe), and all it did was lazily opened its eyes, gave me a look that made me feel like an idiot and went right back to sleep.

Basically this owl looked like it had figured out the meaning of life.

It had chosen its position well, nicely camouflaged from other birds of prey such as kites and eagles.

At first it just looked like a cuddly little soft toy, however a closer glance at its fearsome claws and you knew this was a bird of prey and a successful one at that.


Falls?

As far as I am concerned this is the most super cool of all birds, in every sense.

5 comments:

Neha said...

Y do u like owls??
But ur post was funny.......really!! :D

Apoorv Gawde said...

Owls are very cute and coool :D they deserve my love

:P

Chirdeep Shetty said...

Nice shots of a beautiful Barn Owl. You are quite lucky to see it during the day. Have quite a few near my house, but see them only at night.
I totally agree... they look too cute.

Apoorv Gawde said...

Just the right person :) So it is a Barn owl?? Will pick your brains later for the exact species

V. Narayan Raman said...

What luck dude! Barn owls are not easy to get good photographs of!

Thanks for the invite. Chirdeep and I will be right over to take snaps :)