Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Movies !

The Party
Peter Sellers plays Hrundi Bakshi, an Indian who is mistakenly invited to a Hollywood party and manages to wreck havoc albeit innocently. Brilliant situational comedy, in true Peter Sellers style.
It seems a perfect set up for India bashing, but Bakshi turns out to be the only normal guy in the movie, yes there are a few stereotypes but then an enjoyable movie that even a fanatic patriot like me enjoyed.

A Scanner Darkly
A very dark movie, using Rotoscoping (animating over actual actors) the movie provides a doped effect. Very different and very nice, though I would not call it wholesome entertainment. Stay away if you want to watch a fun movie. This one is dark throughout. Lovely.

Mystic River
A star studded cast and a nice movie, I personally found Clint Eastwood’s Million Dollar baby pathetic, But Sean Penn and Tim Robbins in one movie, very nice. A lil Depressing though.

Memento
AWESOME, more than anything else the structural complexity of the movie is brilliant, I wont say a word about it, just that it’s a must watch (thanks for putting this one in my must watch list Amu)

The Cheap detective
A spoof of Bogart movies especially the Maltese falcon, nice and funny.

Pulp Fiction
Quentin Tarantino. The only bad thing bout this one was John Travolta, he is so freakin irritating!!

5 comments:

CodeMangler said...

I watched 'A Scanner Darkly' too.. but was disappointed :( the movie just wasn't what I expected from its trailer..

and 'Pulp Fiction' is one I've never been able to watch completely.. (I want to but..)

Apoorv Gawde said...

yeah expectations hurt, I went expecting a not so good movie, i liked it bcos its diff otherwise I would tend to agree that its not a great movie :)

Kaj said...

aaaaaah i absolutely loved million dollar baby, thought it was awesome. and tarantino is one of my fave directors (also spike lee). I actually liked john travolta in pulp fiction... he was great in sat nite fever...

Neha said...

Memento is in ma to watch movies too..
Mystic River...I started that movie, but was very sleepy, so could not understand it entirely, though it was ma second attemt to complete the movie
Pulp Fiction....O yes!Thats some movie!What say honey bunny?

Apoorv Gawde said...

fink ~ Tarantino is up there yes, takes a simple narrative and puts in so much style into it thtu go "Whoa!!!" :)

neha ~ Mystic river is not worth losing your sleep over.
memento is a complex movie so one needs to be extremely attentive but worth it
and Pulp fiction?? Indeed Pumpkin !! :)