Thursday, November 08, 2007

Bookie

I realise so many people judge you by the books you read,

"ooooooh Sidney Sheldon, thats so childish"

"Ooooh you dont read Harry Potter? saaad"

"What!? you prefer Terry Pratchett over Douglas Adams? who is Pratchett!?"

These so called generalities change from place to place, I went over to Barnes and Nobles with a friend cos I had promised to gift her a book.

I was looking for GK Chesterton's Father Brown, but our pals at B&N had not heard of it :-|
(I am sure they would know who wears what underpants in Gryffindor)
Finally I decided to get her the Bartimaeus Trilogy, We looked up and down all over the place and finally realised that hey! the books are in the kids section
8-12 year old to be precise.

Now this was a shocker to me! to see the book I have been presently reading in the kids section! siiigh well I enjoy the series anyways, do read the trilogy if you get a chance, very Pratchetty in nature.

p.s: its cheaper to watch a movie twice in a good theatre than to buy a book in the US. Not nice.
I got pearl jewelery for the same price I spent on a couple of books! Thank GOD for places like Blossoms here.


4 comments:

longblackveil said...

Wooo hooooo! Blossoms is a hero(ine).
And another black mark on the Etats Dementis. Disrespecting the art of reading by making it inaccessible to the hoi polloi. Are you kidding with the pearl jewellery/two movie tickets comparison? That's just horrible.
*makes grim face and shakes head*

Apoorv Gawde said...

arrey! again? why why why does everyone think i am kidding all the time :)
I did get a string of real natural pearls for almost the same amount I spent on a couple of books!

Anonymous said...

I'm going to miss the roadside shops in Bangalore. You won't believe the treasures I've unearthed - the entire EarthSea trilogy, and so many Pulitzer winners (and those books ate 500-1000 books in stores *here*) for less than Rs. 100 each... So much so that I have difficulty believing the $57 tags. I mean, is it for _real_?

Apoorv Gawde said...

CAmphor ~ 57 is very very close to what I paid! :) yeah the treasure trove that very few people dig into!