Sunday, November 11, 2007

Language

I have stayed in Bangalore almost all my life, on a call recently, I was asked
"you don't seem to be used to talking in Marathi" :-|
Well, I am used to talking in Marathi, I speak it everyday. Yes I wont talk like People would in Bombay.
So what if I have a different Marathi accent? - have I criticized your English accent?
So what if my grammar is not perfect? - I do not intend to write prose or poetry in Marathi anytime soon.

Next time I am going to turn around and ask,
"How come you don't speak,read or write in Kannada, Konkani or English, as well as I do?"


4 comments:

longblackveil said...

Nyaahahahaa. You should hear my Kashmiri. Wait. How will that help? Let me rephrase: You should hear my Kashmiri around proper Kashmiri speakers so that you'll understand my ineptness with the language when they laugh and point fingers at me.
Having said that, I'm sure your Marathi is pretty good seeing as you speak it everyday. I only speak Kashmiri in my head and when I go home to visit family. Once a year. :-0

Apoorv Gawde said...

LBV ~ hehe Kashmiri! nice :) I had a couple of Kashmiri friends back in college, but rarely got to hear the language.
My Marathi, to be honest, is just about decent and the person I was talking to is a Professor in Marathi :P so the ensuing conversation was inevitable!

Anonymous said...

Ah, then you don't need me to tell you how real Tamilians get tears in their eyes (of pain, not pleasure) when I try to twist my tongue into speaking it. Apparently I have an "alien" accent - like a person who studied it and spoke it as it was written. Criminal it seems.

Apoorv Gawde said...

Camphor ~ long time no see :) how is it going? Yeah Criminal is what it is! nonsense!