Wednesday, November 07, 2007

I may not act my age, but do I at least look my age?

On a recently concluded trip to the land of "Life Liberty and Pursuit of happiness" (I am trying hard not to laugh :-|), I happened to visit the very American "Applebee's Grill".

Now as we were waiting to be seated, my roving gaze fell upon a bunch of colourful crayons, I asked the waiter if I could get some and he happily gave me 4 of them (one of each colour).

So we were seated and it being a Friday evening, I decided to partake in some alcoholic beverage.

Out came a pretty little waitress to get our orders

She: "What can I get for you honey?"
Me: "I would like a Long Island Iced Tea please, make it strong"
She(Giving me one long hard look) : May I have some age proof
Me: I don't have age proof on me, but hey I am 25! (my friends nodded in agreement too)
She(with a wicked grin): Sorry, you look 15ish to me
Then it was the turn of her roving gaze to fall upon the crayons in my hand (bad timing)
She: ah crayons eh? here you wont get any alcohol tonight, what you will get is a colouring book
and she gave me a bl**dy colouring book!

I ordered a Chocolate milkshake, coloured in some of the psychopathic looking animals in the colour book and when she came back to get our main course orders,
handing back the colouring book I proclaimed
"You see I cannot order any food, its against my religion to eat without drinking alcohol!"

She laughed at this and I left

1 month down the line,
I landed at the same restaurant again (for the record: much against my wishes) without my age proof again :(
This time my friends promised we would get a table somewhere in a remote corner.
And a remote corner we did get!
I did not even glance at the crayons and was acting all adult when, lo behold! who comes to take our order?
The same pretty waitress!

Me (attempting to hide my face): Err an Apple Martini please
She: Ah you are the same chap who was sulking last time because you did not get that drink!

Siiigghhhhh
I wont go into the conversation that ensued, all I can say is they make good Chocolate Milkshakes there and hey! a milkshake is any day better than an Apple Martini or a Long Island Ice Tea! eh?

7 comments:

longblackveil said...

Nyaaahhaahaaaa! You're kidding?
Only in the Etats Dementis could this have happened.
Why didn't you fashion an adult type brainy algorithm with said crayons and show her who's who.
[Also, you didn't have ANY ID? Whazzatallabout?]
PS: Thanks for dropping in. Nascar sucks. Don't know why Montoya's gone there. Grrrowl.

Apoorv Gawde said...

I am not kidding! I am so very serious.
If this were something I made up, it would involve an Alien, Volkswagon and Peter Sellers in the story :P (ok i am mental)

I did fashion her caricature, but an age ID is necessary, and my Passport was back at the hotel :)

And I must say I dont look 25 *Blushes* :-|

Anonymous said...

Thats just unbelievable. And fucking hilarious. What were you drawing anyway, just out of curiosity?

Apoorv Gawde said...

Scrabble Dabble Dee ~ I was drawing my regular caricature :) but of the girl kind!

ShareKhan said...

Yes KanyaKumari was good. But not very great.

Btw, you didnt say Red Rose. Tera kya hoga, Kaalia ?

Apoorv Gawde said...

Share~ Dammit, bhool gaya saala! ab maal bhi haath mein nahi aayega! arre lets upload tht to YouTube !

Anonymous said...

This is a crazy country that I live in!

But, see it from her perspective. Asking for age proof is the law, and even one slip-up can mean getting fired, and her employer getting a hefty fine. If you had been an undercover policeman, she could have been arrested for serving alcohol to a minor.

As for "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness": There's a saying here that "your right to swing your fist ends where my nose begins". Too often, selfish jerks seem to forget this, and ruin things for the rest of us. So, laws get made, freedom gets limited, and things like proof of age laws get made.

Wasn't there anything you liked about your trip here? Some aspects of this place are not so bad ;-)